This weekend, we celebrated the inaugural company-wide hack weekend called WE Hack (Weekend Hack).
The aim of WE Hack was to spend a Friday and Saturday outside of the office to bond as a team and to learn. Listen to Hannes, who explains how WE Hack came to be:
We kicked off Friday morning with everyone pitching their hack ideas and getting their team in shape, here’s an audio snapshot with a selection of teams explaining what they’re building.
Here’s a selection of 20 hacks that were built during the weekend:
- Toybox: a toddler’s toy built on Arduino and Raspberry Pi able to play back custom SoundCloud sounds in reaction to the physical world.
- Never Ending Story (We Hack 2012 winner): the age-old kid’s game: start a story and pass it on. You just hear the last part and you create the next one. Hacking content!
- Soundifyificationizer: turns text into music by mapping groups of characters to MIDI notes for melody and drums.
- H.O.V.A: “We build a “HOVA” hovercraft and it is hovering badass! Here’s our blog“
- StreadCloud: memefy our Chief Architect Sean Tradway. Includes voting and is powered by Redis & Clojure
- Ruly: R U Lost Yet gives your friends and map with audio-powered step-by-step directions
- Graphiz: a visualization of connections on SoundCloud
- Deutsch Dienstag: an English-German phrasebook. Click an English sentence to hear the German translation
- BunnyStall: revive the NabazTag! Take the NabaztagHackKit and build custom Applications for u Bunny!
- SoundCal: allows users to add SoundCloud tracks to a calendar via the artwork widget
- Foodbaby: a website that let’s you collect your favorite recipes via an “Eat Later” bookmarklet. Once you cooked the meal you can connect the recipe to an Instagram photo of the dish.
- Desmond: we ported the Android SoundCloud app to Google’s new experimental media streaming device, the Nexus Q.
- Day In Sound: a day in the life of a SoundClouder in 2015
- SoundChain: a Chinese whispers like app where you record a sound and send it to someone to continue and eventually make into a chain of sounds.
- TweetSpeak: allows you to speak your own tweets. Pick your best tweet, record it, and post it to Twitter.
- Wedoc: we documented the weekend by creating audio interviews and montages and by building wehack.sc.
- Lunchbox: a mobile app enabling SoundCloud staffers to meet for lunch
- Message In A Bottle: short message broadcasting with anonymous replies. Think of anonymous twitter.
- The Passion Project: gathering stories of individuals sharing their passion with the world
- Screen Printing Workshop: we learned how to screen print our own We Hack tshirts (thanks to our friends at Etsy Labs in Berlin!)
Want to be part of next year’s WE Hack: we’re hiring and you should totally join our team http://soundcloud.com/jobs
Extra special thanks to the team responsible for making WE Hack a reality: Hannes, Mathilde, Tim, Nick, Lisa, Matthias, Thom and Alex.