Host your podcast on SoundCloud to reach your target audience, make new fans, interact with listeners, and keep the overheads low. A few simple steps can get you started and launch your podcast into the world.
Create a SoundCloud account for your podcast
If you haven’t yet created a SoundCloud account, go to SoundCloud:
- Use an active email address to create an account.
- Use the name of your podcast for your Display Name
- Check your inbox for a confirmation email to activate your account
Complete your profile information
Go to your profile and click the Edit button:
- Upload a profile image that is at least 1400 x 1400 pixels.
- Add a description of your podcast to your profile’s bio. This is important because the description will be used as your RSS feed description.
- In the Your Links section, add links to your podcast website and any podcast social media accounts.
To optimize your profile further, refer to the Set up your profile page.
Adjust the content settings
On the Settings page, click the Content tab:
- Choose a category for your podcast.
- Select the language of your podcast.
- Check the “Contains explicit content” box if your podcast contains what might be explicit content.
- Select the Upload default settings that you want. You can override these settings on the edit page of any track. If you intend to primarily upload podcasts, enable the RSS feed setting.
Adjust more content settings (optional)
- Custom feed title: display a longer podcast title in your RSS feed. If you leave the custom feed title blank, your SoundCloud display name will be used.
- Custom author name: add a byline to your podcast, such as “StartUp podcast by Gimlet Media” (if you are the StartUp podcast produced by Gimlet Media). Your SoundCloud display name will be used if you leave the author name blank.
- If you are using a third-party stats-tracking service insert its URL in the Stats service prefix URL. If you are using Podtrac, enter http://www.podtrac.com/pts/redirect.mp3. If you are using Blubrry, copy and paste your custom redirect URL displayed in Powerpress under the Services and Stats section.
- Email address displayed: some podcast apps require an email address to be displayed in your RSS feed. This is where you enter yours.
- Add your first track to your RSS feed by uploading or editing an existing recording.
- On the Permissions tab, check the box next to where it says Include in RSS feed.
Submit your SoundCloud podcast feed to other distribution platforms
You can reach new audiences for your podcast through distribution platforms like iTunes, Stitcher, and TuneIn through an RSS feed on SoundCloud.
Add your SoundCloud RSS feed to your social media networks:
- From the Content tab, copy your RSS feed URL.
- Submit your feed to Stitcher.
- Submit your feed to TuneIn.
- In iTunes, submit your podcast’s RSS feed URL to the iTunes store. If you don’t have iTunes installed, download and install it. Paste your RSS feed URL where it says Podcast Feed URL and follow the subsequent onscreen prompts.
Pro tip: to encourage listeners to follow your SoundCloud profile and leave comments on your podcast, you should promote your SoundCloud URL in the introduction or credits of your podcast. That way, fans who discover your content via iTunes or other distribution platforms will know you’re on SoundCloud.