SoundCloud is partnering with Twitch so you can connect with new fans and get paid
It’s an unsettling time for everyone right now, and we know COVID-19 has been especially hard on musicians who were scheduled to play live shows over the next few months. Many creators are turning to live video streaming platforms to connect with their fans.
To help you keep your career on track, we’re partnering with Twitch so all SoundCloud Pro, SoundCloud Premier and Repost by SoundCloud creators can start earning money from their Twitch streams by fast-tracking Affiliate status. Now, wherever you’re social distancing, you can still connect to millions of fans IRL and get paid for your work. Here’s how you can get started today:
Set up your Twitch account
- All SoundCloud Pro, SoundCloud Premier and Repost by SoundCloud artists can sign up for an account at twitch.tv. (We suggest using your SoundCloud handle so your brand is consistent across channels.)
- Once your account is created, drop us a line via this form and Twitch will fast-track your channel to Affiliate status, letting you earn revenue from your streams right away. (Twitch will email you with an invitation to their affiliate program within a matter of days.)
- Once you’re signed up, visit your Settings page to customize your Twitch account with a profile picture, biography and your SoundCloud URL so new fans can follow you.
Check your tech
- To go live, you’ll need a PC or Mac with a webcam and microphone, plus a USB audio interface to capture your sound.
- You can use Twitch Studio (PC) or OBS (PC/Mac) to set up and customize your broadcast.
- Check out their guide Twitch Music: Getting Started for some recommendations on how to get set up.
Connect with fans
- In addition to live performances, Twitch streams can open up new creative avenues through interactivity with chat; musicians on Twitch often host Q&A sessions with their fan communities, take live requests or even write songs based on chat feedback.
- Make sure to drop your SoundCloud handle so you can continue to build these connections in the comments section of your tracks.
Get paid and promote your “live” gigs
- With Affiliate status, fans can subscribe to your channel for ad-free viewing, extra perks, and the ability to cheer you on with Bits.
- You can also run ads on your channel, link to music and merchandise stores, and allow fans to donate directly.
Tips for all SoundCloud creators
Get financial support from your day-ones by optimizing your presence on SoundCloud:
- Add your Venmo, GoFundMe, PayPal or Cash App links to your SoundCloud profile, and when you share new music on your socials you can remind fans of the ways they can help support you and your music.
- Promote or start your first merch store. Because really what better time to add some comfy clothes ft. your logo to your shop?
- Create and get creative. Recorded “Isolation Vol 1” in your studio apartment? Ask followers to Venmo you $5 for the private links.
- Get access to the best deals on DAWs, VSTs, sample packs and more, all in one place with your SoundCloud Pro Unlimited subscription.
With all this extra time at home, you can get more tips on how to grow your audience and optimize your SoundCloud presence by checking out our SC101 video series, and tell us about the new music you’re making and how you’re keeping your cool during the pandemic by @-ing us on Twitter.
*Access to Twitch Affiliate status is available starting today to all SoundCloud Pro, SoundCloud Premier and Repost by SoundCloud creators at no additional cost. Twitch Affiliate status access is a manual process, meaning your Twitch account will be reviewed by a real human being and, as such, access is not guaranteed. So make sure your profile follows best practices on Twitch before you submit. SoundCloud and Twitch must validate each account and have the right to refuse an application.