Meet March’s Artists and DJs to Watch
To celebrate Women’s History Month, we’re introducing you to eight of our favorite female artists and DJs on SoundCloud right now. If you follow us on Instagram or Twitter, these rising acts should be familiar. If not, then here’s your chance to see what the hype is all about.
This month you’ll meet: an R&B singer with an affinity for tarot card reading, a Jai Paul fan with a famous opera singer in her family, and a DJ who spent two years honing her craft in secret before releasing her first EP. Read on to learn more about our March Artists and DJs to Watch and the women who have inspired them.
Artists to Watch
- First upload: “Let Me Know”
- Hometown: Houston, Texas
- Influences: Rosalía, SZA & Jhené Aiko
- Fun fact: She speaks English and Spanish and is currently teaching herself French and Croatian.
- Women’s History Month inspiration: “My mom has been a really big inspiration in my life because no matter what happens, she just keeps going with her head high. I like to think that when bad things happen or life takes a weird turn, I can just channel what she has taught me and use it to keep going.”
- Stream now: “just a boy”
- First upload: a cover of Jai Paul’s “BTSTU”
- Homebase: Los Angeles, California
- Influences: Sara Vaughan & Sade
- Fun fact: Her great grandmother was a famous opera singer.
- Women’s History Month inspiration: “My manager Chelsi. She’s a strong female that takes care of me and runs my career. I’m proud to have a female manager in such a male-dominated industry.”
- Stream now: “Obsession”
- First upload: JAUZ “Meant to Love You” (ft. Rouxn) [Rossy Remix]
- Homebase: Redondo Beach, CA
- Influences: RL Grime, Flume, & What So Not
- Fun fact: In the 5th grade she saved up money to pay for her own guitar lessons.
- Women’s History Month inspiration: “Kenzie, Angela, Allison, Amy, Gabby, Molly, Carli, Kayle, Pauline, Jess, Kiley, Kim, Annie,Vanessa, and Jenna. My rocks. They’re the best friends I could ever ask for.”
- Stream now: “pain”
- First upload: “LOST”
- Hometown: Orlando, FL
- Influences: Alina Baraz, Sade, H.E.R.
- Fun fact: She’s been reading tarot cards for four years.
- Women’s History Month inspiration: “My Grandma recently beat cancer and handled the whole thing with such grace and fearlessness. I wouldn’t be where I am today if it weren’t for what she’s done and taught me in life. I’m doing my best to pay it forward by being a positive role model for my daughter and my female fans.”
- Stream now: “Thickness” (exclusively on SoundCloud )
DJs to Watch
- Homebase: Brooklyn, NY
- Genres: Techno, house, deep house
- Fun fact: Akua lists Miss DJAX, Mike Dearborn, and Dave Angel as three of her biggest influences.
- Pro-tip: Want to tell Akua how much you love her latest mix? You’re in luck, you can find e-mail contact right in her bio.
- Homebase: London, UK
- Genres: Multi-genre with a love of bass, future garage, dubstep and jungle
- Fun fact: Barely Legal runs Pretty Weird Records as a “home for high-quality underground productions from established and rising artists alike.”
- Homebase: Berlin, Germany
- Genres: Electronic, techno & house
- Fun fact: LINNÉA is a co-founder of No Shade, an event series and collective focusing on teaching and mentoring female, trans and non-binary DJs.
- Pro tip: Along with her upcoming performances, LINNÉA lists a selection of her past show line-ups on her page, giving fans an opportunity to catch up on where she’s been.
- Homebase: Paris, France
- Genres: House
- Fun fact: Marina spent two years working on her debut EP without telling a single person about it.
- Pro tip: Marina keeps all of her mixes in a single playlist at the top of her profile, so fans can enjoy her DJ-ing for hours on end.
Interested in getting a look on our socials or making money from your music? Join SoundCloud Pro to start growing your career today.